February 23rd — February 24th
When Linda JieJie found out that I would be studying abroad in Rome, she wanted to meet up in Berlin the weekend that she would be there. Initially, I wasn’t able to go since there was a mandatory excursion for my program that weekend, but after talking to my lovely directors I was able to change plans to go visit her in Berlin!
It was so nice seeing her. She had lived in Berlin for a while and is fluent in German, so she gave me a wonderful tour of the city.
Here’s what I did in Berlin for 24 hours:
- ate my first authentic German schnitzel (schweineschnitzel) and consumed most of it (much to the surprise of Linda JieJie)
- walked the length of the Berlin Wall/East Side Gallery and saw the famous “Kiss” wall
- visited the Brandenburg Gate and posed like silly tourists
- paid respects at the Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe
- found the many bear statues of Berlin
- admired the Berlin Cathedral and TV Tower
- ate a traditional currywurst dish
- got my German pretzel at the airport